pb1B


My examples

Research bug paper


comic strip 

Sports Meme 




My first genre I experimented with was a research paper on bugs. Before I looked at all the conventions I wanted to take a guess myself of what conventions I could find within a research paper. With that I said I would see titles, experiment names, hypothesis, data collected, and references. After I took a look to see if that was true and I found out most of it was with some things missing. I missed graphs, table of contents, results of tested experiment, conclusion, and people references. All in that one genre you can find so many conventions that make that thing a thing.
My second genre I experimented with was comic strips. I said conventions with comic strips will be different then research papers because comic strips have speech bubbles, colorful, pictures and characters. When I fully examined my thoughts I was sort of right because comic strips are funny. They have more conventions such as characters, colors and speech bubbles, while a research paper is more serious and is black and white with usually no pictures.
After I decided to look at memes. I believe memes can share more conventions with comic strips but have some differences. When I looked at the meme I saw conventions such as people, funny, colorful, attacking someone or something, relating to real life, and text. Memes show their own conventions with usually attacking a human being but share conventions with comic strips. They both have color, funny, characters and text in common but they have their own conventions to make them each something different. I find that looking at all three of these I can see that everything has conventions to make them, them. It could be something simple but it does have its own unique things.
Thinking about what’s happening in these websites help someone better understand genre because it shows you anything you type in to create something it has a unique style. This shows everything is different in its own way. They all are created the same exact way but they come out their own thing. As I was using the research paper I saw every Research paper has similarities but they have different parts in each one. For example, one research paper has graphs and one has pictures. These websites can really help people understand the meaning of genre and conventions if you experiment around with these and try to see the conventions for yourself.











Comments

  1. I liked how you tried to guess what conventions a research paper would have before even looking into it because it would show your understanding on what a research paper would have to include. Also I liked how you compared the memes and the comic strips showing that not all genres are as different. You did a really nice job on stating why thinking about what's going on in the websites are important and I agree with what you said on how it shows the genres are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved how you inserted a hypothesis before you found out the conventions to the genres, it made your reading very interesting and built a bit of suspense. It was also very cool on how you tied together the genres and how they can relate to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sis snapped. you were very formal in how you executed this post with the paragraphs, but you jumped right into the topic. you showed similarities between different genres an brought them together although you very clearly stated their differences and individual conventions for each genre. you also took the time, before hand, to form a general assumption for these genres. we love an educated queen. overal i liked your post although it was paragraphs because you didnt beat around the bush and were straight up. 10/10 would read again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you analyzed each example of genre and came up with conventions specific to that genre. It was a good idea to guess what some of the conventions of the genres may be before doing a thorough screening of them. I think you did a great job in explaining how genre generators can help someone to further understand this concept because you went ahead and gave more examples for the reader in your conclusion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment